Saturday, December 7, 2013

Where I Stay: The Kitchen





So after looking at about 74 apartments and dealing with horrible brokers and bidding wars (yes for a rental) we found our place. I'm super happy with the apartment. We were very picky and we had a long list of must haves. We needed laundry in the building, preferably in the unit (little Henry fires through some clothes) I really wanted a parking space but this wasn't a must have. As lame and shitty as it sounds we needed to be in a safe neighborhood, preferably with a good public school nearby. It also needed to be big enough to fit all of our dumb shit that we don;t need inside of it. Having a baby really does change the game when it comes to finding the perfect apartment.

When first viewing the apartment that we chose-it didn't show that well. The apartment has one long brick wall (that I love) that was painted baby blue for some reason. Also the kitchen was sort of a patchwork of various wack kitchens. So we quickly moved on the apartment and said we will take it! We were down to pay full asking, pay full commission (even though I found it on craigslist and they didn't do anything but aggravate me) as long as they painted and I was able to put in a kitchen at their expense. I said I would put in a kitchen and they could knock a month off the rent. I lied and said I was an interior designer and sent a link to my blog and they were totally confused and thought I designed everything that was on here- and they went for it!

So I did an inexpensive basic as hell white Ikea cabinet with Ikea butcher block. I did a simple subway tile with black grout and on the windowsill I did a reclaimed piece of mahogany that I picked up from a friend. There is a washer and dryer on the right wall of the kitchen in a sort of cut out closet with no door, so that is the reason for the curtain. I built it out with pipe so we can also put a hamper back there, a mop, a vacuum and other random crap that I don;t want to look at. We have two of the smallest closets ever made so this was kind of necessary. I just used plumbing pipe, painted it black, hung some curtain rings and used a paint tarp from Home Depot as the curtain. I did hang my own light fixture and I plan on putting a few more finishing touches on the room over time but at least it's new, and clean, and I don't hate it.

2 comments:

  1. Cute curtain! I love the subway tile too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahhaha such a great story! well sometimes (when it's a money issue) you have to be creative and it works! Love the tiles and the curtain is pretty.

    ReplyDelete